Sunday, September 14, 2008

NICU

It was my first clinical experience yesterday and I had the best time. I was kind of nervous because it was all these new areas we had never worked in ( so new nurses and different hospital) I showed up for my shift at 545 AM and got assigned to the NICU. I was so nervous. I didn't think I could handle being around sick babies and be able to care for them as their nurse. I was in for a surprise. The first hour our first little baby pulled out her NG tube (feeding tube down the nose to the stomach). So I got to put it back in (never had done one) It was awesome. The day turned out to be like that with all our babies, fixing things, putting things back in and also remembering all the feedings. 3 babies can keep you really busy, especially when they are all on the same feeding schedule :) It was the fastest day of clinicals I have ever had. And the more love you gave to those babies the better, it was so great. Briggs, my nephew, had been in the NICU for 8 days and some of my friends babies so on the patients side I had learned to appreciate the care that is given, but being the care giver was an amazing experience. The nurse I shadowed was so amazing, she believed in me and gave me more confidence and helped me understand everything. She was the best nurse I have been with so far. 1st of 12 clinicals done and a very good experience. Hopefully next saturday, Labor and Delivery, stay tuned.

10 comments:

Cassie said...

Great job, you are going to be a great nurse. It sounds like you had a great experience.

Johnstun Fam said...

That is so great! I am glad you had a good day! How special to be able to care for those little ones!

Erin said...

Heather! I found your blog and had to leave you a comment! You are just as cute as ever and it looks like you are doing so good! My little boy was in the NICU when he was born over a year ago and I have grown to LOVE the nurses that are willing to take such good care of those babies in need.
Please keep in touch!!

The Alands said...

Tyler was in the NICU, we loved all the nurses, they were all so positive. being in there makes you so grateful for healthy babies. Glad you had a good experience.

Amber said...

Aahhh Clinicals! They are hard- but you learn sooo much! I loved the NICU too when I went there- But I liked Labor and delivery even more! I'm so excited for you to be nurse- You have a world of opportunity ahead of you. You will be awesome! Good luck.
Amber

Ashley and Ryan said...

Thanks Heather! Sounds like you are working hard too! :) I'll have to put you on my page so I can read more of your blogs! Have fun with the little ones, that was my least favorite clinicals, I hated seeing the babies on the oscillating vents, but it sounds like you are really enjoying it!

Wendy said...

Hello friend! I know you are going to be a very compassionate nurse. You have always been a very kind, thoughtful person. As you know being in the NICU with Gracie for 6weeks was a one of the worst times in my life (and one of the best now since it's all I have from her life) but, that experience was made so much easier and less stressful because of our amazing nurses. We became very close to our primary nurse who even came to the funural. I know that you will become on of those great nurses as well, Good Luck!

Ashlee said...

Hey! I was just looking you guys should come the week of June 19th. The Red Sox are playing the Braves. That would be a great game to go to. So think about it. You know you want to watch me go crazy cheering on the braves.

simple mom/wife said...

That sounds so familiar. Remember when Sarah was in the NICU? I had to do that NG tube thing at home for a year! I should have been a nurse too--I guess technically I am one to my two kids anyway.

sara and wade said...

heather! this is sara (storey)vest it was so great to see you in the nicu the other day... i was afraid that you wouldn't remember me. so i was glad when you said you did... i felt like an idiot asking if you remembered me... silly! hopefully i'll see you around more often! you'll be a great nurse!