Tuesday, October 21, 2008

NICU

Me and Julie, The New Life as  Nurse being Learned
Julie is my neighbor, friend, support and shoulder, nursing student :)
She is in nursing school with me and I find myself calling or texting her for therapy.  Well Friday I needed her shoulder and many others (my Mom) to just TALK to.

The NICU was where I was working (I say working, but it is for free of course) on Friday.  My last experience was great in the NICU and I had been pondering this floor for future work.  There are always the good with the bad and I knew eventually I would experience that.   Well there was absolutely nothing exciting going on in the NICU our census was down and it gave my nurse some great time to teach me on some things I could see and to be aware of.  We were visiting in one of the rooms  when we hear we need as many nurses as possible in here.  I am thinking, nice something to do, not knowing what we were walking into.  I had my first patient die and I wasn't even prepared for it, the baby lived for about 2 hours and fought hard.  I found myself pondering death and thankful for my view  and knowledge on death and knowing that family will see the baby again.  I held strong til I talked to my mom (I told Curt I would tell him when I got home, I didn't want to break down crying while driving) but my mom brought the floods.  Its a good thing to feel this and it is a sad thing, but it goes with the field right?  I love what I will be doing and still love every minute of it, even though some pain is felt.  It makes me want to learn and know as much as possible to be the best I can be so that when I am a practicing nurse I can know like those nurses knew that they did all they could do. 

I found my new love and interest that I didn't even think was an option before this semester started, the NICU!!  We will see, the Nurse Practitioner on staff told me she would hire me and train me for Life Flight, sounds good to me :)

Thanks to all the shoulders I used that night husband, family, friends, etc.

3 comments:

Jaymerz said...

Oh man that is tough!! I don't know if I would ever be strong enough to deal with that. It is fantastic to have the knowledge that we do through the gospel. It takes someone special to be a NICU nurse and I think you would be amazing at it!!

The Johnson's said...

What a hard day, but what a wonderful thing to feel so drawn to something so important. You'll do great at whatever you chose!

Colby & Brenda said...

It's nice to have experiences like this at work to keep our thoughts in perspective. I like to work with the adults in ICU, because even though it's hard to have my patients die, I know that at least they have lived life (most of them--the 16 year old a few months ago wasn't easy) and have had their experiences. I don't know if I could work in the NICU, although I know everyone that works there loves it! Have you met Jenny Boyer yet? She's awesome nurse that left us to go over there...